Elements of appropriate general management
- Patient should be informed about the medical model of depression (e.g. depression as a serious disorder, a disorder comparable to other disorders in medicine, depression as treatable)
- Relatives should be involved, contingent on the patient’s permission
- Discussion of lifestyle issues, such as daily routine, social supports, and substance misuse
- Issue sick certificates only if it is unavoidable e.g. in severe depression. The loss of the structure of working life can have negative impact on depressive symptoms in many patients
- Make a follow-up appointment for two weeks later, sooner if side effects of antidepressants are anticipated
Interested in getting training to improve your general management skills? Email gillian.karwig<at>ucc.ie stating interest in attending related training.